Choosing a first dance song can be tough. The music landscape has changed so much in recent years with the emergence of online streaming and satellite radio. It used to be that your song was one of the top 40 you heard played on the radio. Now, music is so plentiful and readily available, that choosing just one song can be like finding a needle in a haystack.
If you happened upon this list as a result of a Google search, you probably found that there are many, many lists of songs for first dance song ideas out there. When I was preparing for this article, I knew that we wanted to present a list of songs that maybe weren’t featured on most Top First Dance Songs lists.
As a band leader, I thought back to some of the most memorable and thoughtful song choices we had encountered and I polled our musicians to put together this list. I tried to exclude things we had all played too many times to count so that our list would be unique and focused on music quality and the message. I hope this proves helpful to you on your search.
50 Top first dance songs according to Jukeboxx Media musicians.
50 Top First Dance Songs (on Spotify)
50 Top First Dance Songs (on YouTube)
50 Top First Dance Songs (according to some awesome musicians)
We polled the team and here is a list of beautifully written first dance songs (that not all of your friends are using!)
- Crazy Love – Van Morrison
- Lovesong – Adele
- Something – The Beatles
- Say You Won’t Let Go – James Arthur
- Coming Home – Leon Bridges
- You Send Me – Sam Cooke
- The Luckiest – Ben Folds
- Perfect – Ed Sheeran
- Can’t Help Falling – Ingrid Michaelson
- Make You Feel My Love – Adele
- Latch (Acoustic) – Sam Smith
- Let’s Stay Together – Al Green
- Let It Go – James Bay
- How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) – James Taylor
- Die A Happy Man – Thomas Rhett
- Rhythm of Love – Plain White T’s
- Feet Don’t Touch The Ground – Stoney LaRue
- Good and Slow – John Goolsby
- From The Ground Up – Dan + Shay
- You Are The Best Thing – Ray LaMontagne
- Let It Be Me – Ray LaMontagne
- If I Ain’t Got You – James Bay
- At Last – Etta James
- Poison & Wine – Civil Wars
- Stand By Me – Ben E King
- The Way You Look Tonight – Frank Sinatra
- Dream A Little Dream of Me – Mamas & The Papas
- Maybe I’m Amazed – Paul McCartney
- Photograph – Ed Sheeran
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen
- Collide – Howie Day
- Stay With You – John Legend
- You Got What I Need – Joshua Radin
- September Song (Piano Acoustic) – JP Cooper
- I Won’t Give Up – Jason Mraz
- Wherever You Will Go – Charlene Soraia
- Sail Away – David Gray
- In Your Eyes – John Wesley
- Time After Time – Iron & Wine
- This Must Be The Place – Iron & Wine
- The Beauty of Who You Are – Marc Broussard
- You Are The Sunshine Of My Life – Stevie Wonder
- Perfect To Me – Marc Broussard
- The Only Exception – Paramore
- Love and Happiness – Marc Broussard
- Into The Mystic – Van Morrison
- I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
- I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – Rai Thistlethwayte
- On A Night Like This – Dave Barnes
- Hard To Believe – Andy Davis
Some of these – our favorites – have been performed by our musicians. See below.
Ashley Reynolds - "I Won't Give Up" Jason Mraz Cover
John Goolsby - "Into The Mystic" Van Morrison Cover
Sean McNown - "Let's Stay Together" Al Green Cover
“Entertainment is an extremely important part of any great event. A great DJ or Band is one who can read a room, make energetic announcements and carefully execute a timeline.
Great music, dancing, smiles, laughs and so forth – these are the things that make for great memories.”
All the best!
Amanda McNeal is a wedding DJ of 14 years, DJ director for Jukeboxx Media and lead singer & director of the band, Twice On Sunday.